Marvelous Mondays

History of Mondays

on April 18, 2019

I started thinking about how many historical events happen on Mondays, how many songs have Monday in the title or lyrics, how many people dread them, and the cultural significance surrounding them.   I decided maybe we need a quick history lesson on the origin of the word and the day starting in ancient times. I have found some fascinating information on my web quest for Mondays.

Interestingly, the word Monday is taken from Middle and Old English.  Originally, it was translated from Latin and means, “day of the moon”.

Religions regard Monday differently. In traditional Roman, Greek, and Orthodox Christian traditions, Monday is considered the second day of the week.  In the Jewish faith, Mondays were traditionally a day for fasting.  In Chinese culture and traditions, it was considered the day one.  Internationally in modern times, we consider Monday the first day of the work week and many modern calendars reflect this idea.

Whether you love Mondays or not, they are here to stay!

Image result for monday meme

5 Responses to “History of Mondays”

1. caroline6th says:

This was a very educational post keep doing an amazing job you are an awesome teacher

2. bill6th says:

Wow, I did not know that. I think may change my view about Mondays.

3. calliec6th says:

i never thought of mondays like that! good thinking.

4. lydia4th says:

That’s cool! I didn’t know there was a lot of history behind Monday!

5. lilym4th says:

this really made me rethink my mondays